Monday, December 8, 2008

Week 11 - #'s 21, 22,23

Do I detect a note of irony in your "great sadness" message? I, too, am tres, tres sad...
Videos and podcasts ahoy!
Love YouTube, with which I am fairly familiar (I've got a crush on Obama.) This assignment did give me an excuse to spend quality time searching for a clip I viewed months ago and was not able to find again. Eureka!!! I found it. I won't tell you what it is, because it's a tiny bit embarrassing. The thing is , I can't remember how I originally came upon this clip, so had to spend some time trying search words/phrases until it surfaced.
For #22, I viewed the video on CommonCraft entitled "Podcasting in plain English." CommonCraft is a useful site, and this segment enlightened me on what POD stands for (personal on demand - who knew?) Anyway, the simple rule of create, subscribe, and take it with you was helpful.
I then went to the podcasting tools portion of the lesson, where I found a directory. I chose religious podcasts, then selected one on discussing questions of faith - agnostic and atheistic. Yes!!! Very interesting.
A summary of my thoughts on Vermont's 23 Things is as follows:
The practice on downloading and uploading photos was valuable. There are a million steps, and they vary, depending on one's computer and its settings and capabilities. This is an example of the more you do it, the more you can remember it. I would say that rule holds true for all computer activities, for me anyway.
I had trouble with the lessons/activities which involved registering or subscribing. For one thing, I simply cannot remember all my user names and passwords. For another thing, there is a limit to how much I want my name and info floating around in cyberspace. As it is, people have tried to track me down using my old stage name, and have succeeded occasionally. This I don't want.
I can see how it would be easy for anyone to get sucked into doing stuff online the live-long day. From a professional standpoint, knowing how to help library patrons get information is necessary and wonderful, but what is the quality of the information they are accessing? Some of the sites I visited were not up to date or the information was of a highly subjective bent. It takes time to sift through all of this stuff, and to make assessments.
In terms of the program itself, I would say (think I mentioned this before) that the lessons take longer than the suggested 15 minutes per.
It was fun, though, seeing how much is out there. Thanks for setting it up, Mara!

No comments: