Sunday, November 30, 2008

Week 10/ #'s 19 & 20

Here is a problem I'm having with the Vermont's 23 Things site. When I click on the highlighted (clickable) site links Mara has given I get an error message: "Easy tiger. This is a 404 page. You are totally in the wrong place." This has happened numerous times. My solution is to get out and go to Google, where I type in something pertinent to the exercise, then find links to sites.

Moving right along - for #19, I went to About.com's spreadsheet page. There I browsed through the Excel 2007 guide, which I found somewhat less than wonderful. It seems to consist of illustrations with no explanatory text. I spent about fifteen minutes clicking through the steps, but the Beginner's book on Excel we have in our collection is much better. I trust that the course offered in WebJunction - if I can register for it - will be superior. I also looked at Yahoo's calendar site, which seems much like Google's.

For #20, I found the Web 2.0 Awards site by googling. I chose the Guides and Reviews category and went to Yelp, the winner in that category. I selected Burlington from the list of cities, and scrolled around in Restaurants, Shopping, and finally Arts & Entertainment, my true area of interest. Results for Burlington were dispiriting: Sunset Drive in - 3 reviews; Echo Center -4 reviews; Made boutique - 1 review; Firehouse Gallery - 1 review; Flynn Theater - 1 review; Ethan allen Homestead - 1 review; Flynn Center for Performing arts - 1 review; Flynn space - 1 review; and Discover Jazz - 2 reviews. I didn't go on to page 2 - too depressing. This is the best we can do in Burlington?!! Perhaps there just aren't enough people in the Burlington area who want to write reviews for this site?

No comments: